What you need to know, When you need to know it.
- All NC residents can dial 2-1-1 to reach a trained call specialist who can help them find shelters and learn evacuation routes, find help with storm clean-up, locate food, water and ice, learn about volunteer needs and more. The service is available 24/7 and is available in English and Spanish. Visit NC211.org.
- Visit ReadyNC.org for information on how to prepare for the storm. Download their free app to learn weather conditions, traffic conditions, shelters, evacuations, and more.
- National Hurricane Center Storm Tracking
- National Hurricane Center Preparedness
- NC Disaster Information Center
Make a Disaster Kit
Prepare for the storm by creating a Disaster Kit or making an emergency plan.
Some items to prepare are:
- Water: Buy plenty of bottled water to keep on hand or fill your own bottles
- Food: Stock up on nonperishable food such as canned foods, peanut butter, granola bars
- Food Prep: Keep Charcoal, Wood (for the fireplace) or Gas (for a gas grill) on hand in case of power outages
- Ice: Freeze a gallon jug of water to keep your refrigerator or freezer cool in the case of a power outage. Can’t find water jugs? Fill gallon ziplock bags and freeze them. Not only will your food stay cool, you can drink the water too!
- Clothing and Bedding: Remember that your air conditioner or furnace may be out if the power is out. Have appropriate clothing and bedding available for high or low temperatures
- First Aid Kit: Make sure your First Aid Kit is easily accessible and stocked
- Batteries: Stock up on batteries for radios and flashlights
Learn more on Disaster Kits via ReadyNC.org or via NC Disaster Information Center
Donate to Hurricane Victims
Send a Text to Help
The Red Cross: Text the word REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation to Red Cross Disaster Relief. You can also visit redcross.org or call 1- 800-RED CROSS.
The United Way: Text 41444 to UWFLOOD to donate to the United Way Flood Relief Fund.
Salvation Army Emergency Disaster Services: Donate online or call 1-800-SAL-ARMY to help.
Catholic Charities USA: Donate online here
Americares: Donate online here
Convoy of Hope: Donate online here
Direct Relief: Donate online here
Operation Blessing: Donate online here
Samaritan’s Purse: Donate online here
Save the Children: Donate online here